February 18, 2017

Pretty in Pink

"Next week I shall begin my operations on my hat, on which you know my principal hopes of happiness depend." - Jane Austen, October 27, 1798

It is a truth universally acknowledged that one can never have too many ruffles!
(Photograph courtesy of Maria M.)

Just a quick post today showing off my newly-trimmed cap, which I had intended to finish for Valentine's Day!  


Completed Project Pictures

Side.

Front.

Other side.

Made from the last of the three yards of fine cotton lawn I bought for caps, it features two starched ruffles and a satin bow - hence, the title, pretty in pink!  Entirely hand-stitched using the period construction techniques of rolled whipped gathers and rolled hems. 

Fun fact: the "ribbon" is actually vintage quilt binding!
Hand tacked for easy removal.

I practiced my couching stitches to attach the ruched strip to the band.

Now for some fun, pictures of the first wearing, all thanks to the sister and resident photographer:  In fact, it's the first wearing for both the cap and the crossover robe, which I may have worn out in public to a day of sewing with my partner-in-crime-and-sewing-projects...it was worth it! 

In case you were wondering, it's a two story book
with Sense & Sensibility and Northanger Abbey. 


All I will say for now is that the new outfit is part of a secret sewing project with the partner-in-crime...all will be revealed, soon...so stay tuned for the upcoming blog post!


In the meantime, I'll get back to rolling hems because one can never have too many caps!  Especially now with the ombre hairdo...I have a perfectly enabling excuse to pursue all things frilly and fru fru for the head haha!  I just need to order more cap making material...more lawn or maybe try organdy?  Any suggestions?  

3 comments:

  1. Oh how delightful is this fabulous cap! I may just have to have you make one for me! I can't do a small rolled hem to save my life. Yours are always so perfect and happy! And the bow is most delightful!
    Blessings!
    g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina, your comment makes me so happy!! Anytime, you just say the word, and I'll start rolling the hems! :)

      Delete

We ❤︎ Our Patrons

Like what you see here, and want to support future blogging and educational programming? Consider becoming a Patron - click on the button below to unlock exclusive contents, bonus blog posts, and more! Every contribution makes a big difference, thank you!