October 31, 2014

Rumpelstiltskin Accessories

First of all, Happy Halloween!  I do hope you're all having a sugary-sweet, spooktacular day!

Actress Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch of the West
(Image via: http://www.buzzfeed.com/tommywes/the-hollywood-magic-behind-the-wizard-of-oz)

Today, I just have a quick update on my Rumpelstiltskin inspired Regency Halloween costume: accessory time!  

The first item on my agenda was a ruffly chemisette.  The body pieces sort of started out as those included in the Sense & Sensibility Regency Underthings Pattern...however, from there, I just made it up.  And, it seemed to work as I am rather pleased with the finished product!  Made from plain white cotton (actually the fabric intended for a mock up, but I rather liked the stark contrast with the black and gold of the dress).    




Next, I wanted some kind of fancy, braided updo after stumbling upon this Renaissance hairpiece:

(Image via: http://en.dawanda.com/product/16756154-Renaissance-Gothic-Mittelalter-Frisur-Haarteil#product_gallery)

I started by making a base "crown" from plastic boning and bias tape.  Then, I went to the local Sally's Beauty Supply and bought a couple of packages of extremely long, loose, fake hair, each around two dollars.  What a frustrating(!) mess working with all that fake hair turned out to be...So I decided to make it simple and attempt an easier hairstyle like this one:

(Image via: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/404409241512043078/)

I attempted to weave a net like the one above out of smaller braids; however, that plan proved much too difficult as the fake hair decided to be nothing but uncooperative.  So, remembering this intricate Elizabethan hairstyle (picture below), I decided to add a velvet puff to the hairband instead of a woven net.

(Image via: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/404409241510213295/)

Finally, this is the hairpiece/turban thingy that I came up with:




What fun, I am excited for the trick-or-treaters tonight and will be on the porch spinning straw into gold on my drop spindle...stay tuned for full costume photos and have a Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We ❤︎ Our Patrons

Like what you see here, and want to support future blogging and educational programming? Consider becoming a Patron - click on the button below to unlock exclusive contents, bonus blog posts, and more! Every contribution makes a big difference, thank you!